Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My First Blog!

After much contemplation and a bit of trepidation, I have finally decided to create a blog.  After all, a lot of my friends are doing it and I have things to say and journal as well.  I am still trying to figure out how to get a picture on my profile.  I already typed for an hour and was set to publish it until while I was figuring out how to publish it, I deleted it all!  I'm sure I will eventually figure it all out.  I will call my faithful friend, Shaylagh who knows a lot in the morning.  
The reason I decided to write a blog was to:

1.  Keep a Book of Remembrance (or blog of remembrance in my case).
2.  Provide a place for my children to journal or tell stories.
3.  Have a place where friends and family can check up on us.

I remember getting a journal from my mom back in October 1998 for my birthday.  In it she wrote these words, "I have an idea, Heather, there are many words stored up within you that will come tumbling out - so here's some paper."  Unfortunately,  I haven't been very faithful in writing consistently.  I have, however, had "bursts" of crazy writing when I could no longer contain my thoughts.  So as I page through the journal my mom gave me I remember the lists I wrote,  things the children said, and stuff I was wrestling through. I see the faithfulness of God in the big things and the little.  

I recently, read a book called The Gift of Family Writing, by Jill Novak.  In it she shows the reader how to "Record Your Life Stories as They Happen, Strengthen Family Relationships, and Preserve a Family Legacy" in your writing.  It has impacted me personally as well as many others.  She gives lots of examples and strategies as well.  A must have for your personal library!

As I mentioned above, one of my desires is to provide a place for my children to write about the goings on in our world.  You will most likely get to know us all a bit more in the process...
I trust you will be blessed.

1 comment:

shay said...

Congrats on your new adventure!
I love have an outlet for my creativity and a place to put pictures.
I have pictures of you guys on my blog so come have a look:)

You're doing great!

ps: Shalagh is how you spell it! I know it looks weird but....